It feels like summer already with hot days and lots of sunshine. Perfect pool weather! When you are outside either by or in the pool, make sure to use plenty of sunscreen. According to the American Cancer Society, skin cancer is one of the most common cancers in the United States. Swim ‘N Fun wants you to enjoy your time in the sun and in the pool but be safe.
Help prevent skin cancer and stay safe with these tips:
• Apply plenty of sunscreen. The American Dermatology Association recommends a SPF of 30 or higher. Apply at least one ounce (about the size of a shot glass) to your entire body and reapply often (at least every 2 hours or after swimming/sweating)
• Make sure to apply sunscreen to all exposed areas of your body. Common areas that are forgotten include the backs of feet, the tips of ears, back of neck, back of hands, your scalp, and your lips
• Put on sunscreen 30 minutes before sun exposure
• Use sunscreen every time you go outdoors
• Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen
• A water-resistance sunscreen will help protect you longer
• Add a hat, sunglasses, and protective clothing as well as sunscreen
• Choose shade whenever possible
• Before applying sunscreen, check the expiration date. Use sunscreen that hasn’t expired for the most protection
There are different types of sunscreens to choose from. Chemical sunscreens help prevent damage to the skin by utilizing chemicals that absorb UV rays. Mineral sun blocks, such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, sit directly on the skin to form a barrier. Mineral sun blocks are a good option for those with sensitive skin since they cause less reactions. However, they usually leave a white residue and can cost more. There are also different ways to apply sunscreen such as a spray, a gel, a cream, or a lotion. Sunscreens also come unscented and scented. It ends up being a personal choice on what you like the best. Ultimately, the best sunscreen to apply is the one that you will use.
Swim ‘N Fun offers tips on choosing sunscreen. Before taking a dip in your pool, make sure that it is in tip top shape. If you’re tired of maintaining your pool and battling the green, let us help. Swim ‘N Fun offers weekly pool maintenance. Routine maintenance is provided by our pool techs as well as a check of equipment.
If your pool is blue but having issues with items such as pool lights, pool pumps, or pool filtration systems, please give us a call at 407-699-5588. We offer pool repairs for those items and more. We have been serving Central Florida since 1986. Rely on Swim ‘N Fun for all of your pool maintenance and pool repair needs. Please call us today at 407-699-5588!